11 Jun 2012

Body of Work.


In high school I studied Visual Arts and in my final year I produced what is referred to as a ‘Body of Work’. Mine was titled 'Iconoclassics' and consisted of a series of seven portraits, produced using Adobe Illustrator. I based my portraits – of Che Guevara, Twiggy, Andy Warhol, John Lennon, Grace Kelly, Allen Ginsberg, and Queen Elizabeth II – on photographs found as a result of simple Google searches. Each individual was chosen for their status as ‘icons’ of the 1950s and 1960s, an era which I have long been interested in (read: obsessed by).

The portraits were exhibited in the end of year exhibition supported by a collected of badges that I designed and made myself. Each badge corresponded to the portraits, such as ‘Paul Who?’ for John Lennon, ‘Touche’ and ‘Cliché’ for Che Guevara, ‘Monarch-o’ for Grace Kelly, and a reworking of the famous ‘Feed Twiggy’ badges of the era. Six of these portraits – all except for the Queen – were then printed in a second edition for a fundraising exhibition with three being sold.

A Che Guevara print is currently hanging in the foyer to the History Department of my old school, apparently provoking some conversations!

The prints in their original state were A1. The final image in this post is of the proof strip framed.

Allen Ginsberg

Andy Warhol


Che Guevara

Grace Kelly

John Lennon

Queen Elizabeth II

Twiggy
The complete set framed



No comments:

Post a Comment